Thursday, November 12, 2009

So, what does it mean, anyway? Self-referential excellence? What a lot of words. I have to watch that...

It means my real job on this planet is to be exactly myself. To be the most whole and fully expressed self I can be. Simple, right? Maybe not so much. It takes quite a lot of digging to separate my self from my idea of myself. It's like the difference between "tree" -the word, the symbol, the idea- and that one specific California live oak whose acorns crash onto the table in my back yard.

My idea of myself, has been influenced by thousands of events, memories, off-hand remarks, choices, images... And to make it worse, it's a moving target. My self at 45 is not exactly the same as my self at 15, though there are constants. Teasing it apart, in order to own myself, is the discovery work of Arete. Once discovered, finding the courage and compassion to express my self in the world is the muscle-building of Arete. Integrating the various parts of my self, is the maturing of Arete.

I took a workshop with a Japanese potter last weekend, Shuji Ikeda. The workshop was a hands-on, how-to of making a particular kind of clay "basket he makes. when mine is finished drying, firing, glazing, I will post a photo for you. It was a wonderful experience, and I love my basket. But I was thinking about what he really wanted to teach, and it was not the technique. Shuji wanted to share with us a reverence for the clay, a relationship between self and material. And I resonated deeply with that lesson, and the man who wanted to teach it.

I began thinking what I would truly want to teach, what I have always wanted to share when I have taught, and it is never the subject at hand. The subject is just a medium for what I really want to share: this idea of Arete, of putting one's self into every element of life, of work, of art. To me, copying Shuji's beautiful basket, is not the point. It is finding and making my own basket... Taking his basket, and discovering mine inside. Learning his basket is important. Learning it exactly the way it is, the how and the why his basket is built the way it is-- is crucial. Mastering the basket at hand is one of the ways to discover my own basket... But I more wanted to learn his deeper teaching, to see where it resonates with my own. To deepen my relationship with the clay, with my body as it relates to the clay, so that my self can be transmitted into the clay and come forth into the world in form. That is the true lesson, that is what Shuji truly gave me, another avenue to my own Arete.

This blog is to keep me focused on this deeper lesson, this deepening of my relationship to self, and the journey of bringing self into the world, in clay, in cooking, in my business. I'm blogging as a way to test it, to see if the ideas I have stand up to scrutiny, to refine and build the muscles of my own Arete. Thanks for the opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. Blogging is a good way to examine self...I did some blogging about 8 years ago and wrote down a lot of experiences I have had but it was an anonymous blog. The only readers were people I didn't know. I really let go! And then went back later and the writing seemed different: the words and letters the same but the resonance different...Anyway, thanks for your kind comments to me! As for arete, it always boils down to, "Do I like myself?" for me...the authentic self seems pretty damaged! So there might be fear in searching for it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The authentic self is never damaged. It is the damage that masks the authentic self. The authentic self is what is before the damage, it is the joy of creating, the joy of expressing... The task is to peel off the damaged selves, the layers of protection that get in the way.
    It is like your grandbaby, it has its own language, and it talks constantly. We just have to listen.
    Thats what i think, at least.

    ReplyDelete